Monday, January 01, 2007

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Hey everyone! I hope that you all had an awesome, and safe, New Year:>) I even managed to get my lazy butt out and socialize a bit at my friend's party. It was a smooth flight back, with little sleep, but I managed to get an afternoon nap in so I could go out to ring in the new year. I didn't make it for long though! I think I was in bed by 1:30 am....

So, since the last update, I went to see my brother, Matt, in prison on the 23rd. What a three ring circus that was! There were a million people there and each car had to be 'inspected' before being allowed to go onto the premises. I use quotation marks because they just glance into your car, ask you if you're carrying any narcotics or weapons (who's going to say 'yes'?!), and look under the hood. Then when we finally got in there, they told us that since we had a special split visit, that two of us would have to leave and come back in an hour. So my dad and I left my sister and her husband, plus Lucy, and had to drive out and wait off of the premises. Then we had to be checked twice more! Finally...we got to visit Matt. I have to say that despite being in prison for the last 3 years, he seems to be as happy as you can be in there. He even met this girl through a penpal system for inmates....a 3rd grade school teacher from Ohio. They seem to really like each other and she has even flown down to visit him 3 times...with her family! Doesn't sound like something that usually happens to inmates, huh? Well, if it makes him happy, then I'm glad it seems to be working out. He has 3-4 more years left...I would hate to live in the conditions he has to. NO AIRCONDITIONING in the prison! And they're in freakin Texas! I seriously do not know how anyone could handle that. I get so irritable when it's, like, 85 or 90 degrees out! But I do understand the no-A/C thing...nobody has it in Europe. I've been through 5 summers with nothing but open windows...fun!

We were supposed to get 1 hour, but they must've been clueless because we were there for 2 1/2 hours! It was cool, though...got to talk about everything. He's even taking college courses...at least he will have that when he gets out. So, after our visit, my dad and I made the 5 hour drive back home...and I realized just how impatient my dad is on the road!!! Geesh, dad, you need to take it easy:>)

On Christmas day my brother, Tom, and his family came down to spend a couple days with us. I loved the fact that this year we were all able to hang out with each other. With my sister and
Tom both being married, it's hard to juggle all the different families that they need to spend time with. The little ones were so cute! Maddy is so adorable, and now she's saying so many more words. And Lucy is just....a head of hair! It's so crazy! In fact, I said that if she had to have an Indian name, it would be Lucy 'Crazy Hair'. It sticks straight up in the back and hangs over her eyes! Too cute:>) She is so beautiful...and her smile is exactly like her mom's;>) I was so happy to be able to spend so much time with my nieces. When they're little like that, and you miss so many months in between visits, you really miss so much since they develop so quickly.

So now....I'm back in Switzerland, officially looking for a job. Hey MELISA!! Yeah, I'm talking to you, girl....can you pass on that info about that headhunter you used?! I would really appreciate it! BTW, I'm sorry if I didn't call the people I promised I would call while I was at home! I really thought that if I was at home for three weeks that I would be so bored and have so much downtime...I was wrong. So, expect a call from me soon;>)

I wish everyone a happy 2007...Keep me updated!


No comments: