Tuesday, November 20, 2007


THANKSGIVING CHEZ MOI

Well, it was another successful Thanksgiving dinner this year...and it was hosted chez moi (at my house). I stressed quite a bit for this, but everything turned out great. It's always so great to be surrounded by awesome friends, and I enjoy sharing this American holiday with those who are not familiar with it.

I tried out 3 new recipes, which were a big hit. I think the most favored dish was the sweet potato casserole, which I have actually never eaten before! And I even forgot to put one of the ingredients in! But, apparently, everyone loved it, and I even had to pass out the recipe. For those of you who are always looking for great recipes, try www.allrecipes.com! I got all my Thanksgiving ideas from there....

I probably would've been ready to pull my hair out if it weren't for my kitchen helpers! Arnaud played 'doctor', and took care of the turkey (it's apparently too dangerous for women to remove heavy birds from the oven and baste them;) ). Mira and Kat listened to my commands and did a great job on all of the dishes. And Agathe helped me prepare the famous apple pie...which was another winner. I am so fortunate to have so many amazing friends here!

And one of my highlights (there were many!) was quoting the movie 'Spaceballs' with Kat for what seemed like an hour! Who knew that we were such dorks and could remember virtually every line to that classic??! 'Ludicrous speed?! Sir, we've never gone that fast before!' 'What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken??!' Ahhh, greatness.....pure genius.

So, we had a Bazaar today at the UN, which was pretty cool. Crowded, but interesting. There were about 70 or so countries represented, with food stands from all the countries selling their cuisine. Then there was a separate building filled with stands that were selling goods from those countries. I was a bit disappointed with the American stand...there seemed to be only candy! So I bought a Hershey's Almond Chocolate bar and went on my merry way:) I know that Swiss chocolate is world-renowned, but I really do enjoy Hershey's!

I finally started getting extremely irritated with the small space and millions of people, so I dragged Mira out so we could breathe fresh air....I kind of get claustrophobic in those types of situations, and it doesn't take long before I'm ready to threaten to kick someone's ass if they don't move outta my way or stop bumping into me!

We made it back to the office around 3 pm, which means we took about 3 hours for lunch:) Gotta love the UN culture! I try not to do it too often though!

I've officially started counting down the weeks til I leave to go home....3 more weeks from this Thursday!! I can't wait to arrive at the airport and tell Kim where I want to go eat first:)

Hope to hear from some of you soon! Ciao!

No comments: